Brownsea Island

12 June 2014

On Saturday 24th May 2014, some 96 people; comprising of 15 beaver scouts, 29 cub scouts, 28 scouts, 8 explorer scouts and 16 leaders gathered at Portslade station to catch the 07:40 train to Poole. With one cub scout arriving just in the nick of time, we were on our way for what was set to be a camp to remember. We arrived in Poole at around about 11:00 ready to unload the van onto our waiting ferry in order to get over to the island. We set sail for the island at around about 11.30. During the journey everyone sang campfire songs, which were reported to be heard from the Quayside for quite some time!! After a 20 minute crossing we had arrived on Brownsea Island where we were met by a couple of vehicles which helped us to transport most of the equipment up to the campsite, which was about a 20 minute walk from the harbour.

Tents were pitched and the kitchen and dining areas were set up all in time for our evening meal which was then followed by a campfire in the evening. We had to seek special permission to hold a campfire, as fires are not permitted on the island. After a lengthy discussion with the campfire warden all was agreed to go ahead as planned. The campfire was attended by other groups camping on the island so there was around about 150 people in attendance.

The next day various activities were laid on for the children to take part in, this included slack lining, a rope maze, squirrel spotting and making, knife work, woggle making, archery, low ropes, sumo wrestling, pioneering and much much more!! We also had a visit from the district commissioner of Brighton and Hove, David Simon. Activities continued into the late afternoon and in the evening we went down onto the beach for a paddle in the sea and a play in the sand.

On the Monday we went for a walk where we were able to see the site on which Baden Powell camped in 1907 and we also came across an abandoned village (Maryland) where the workers from the old pottery used to live before it was closed down. Activities carried on throughout the day and in the evening, we went up to the stone that has been placed on the island to commemorate the start of the scouting association where we all renewed our scout promise. This was followed by a quiz in the marquee before bed time.

We were up early on the final day to strike camp, ready for our 13:30 departure from the island. We arrived back on the quayside at around about 14:00 to load the van and make our way back to Portslade.

The camp was very successful and was enjoyed by all, we are all looking forward to the next one in a hundred years’ time!!!